The MDHA would like to invite you to be a part of the MDHA/School of Dental Hygiene Mentorship Program. This program plays a vital role in a dental hygiene student’s transition from student to practicing Dental Hygienist. As a mentor, you will have a lasting impact on your mentee’s educational experience, and future within the our profession of dental hygiene. Mentorship not only helps your mentee it provides you the mentor with a great environment to meet other dental hygienists and build new connections within the profession. Dental Hygiene students bring with them current knowledge of the profession, and you the mentor brings with your clinical experience of the real world. Mentor/mentee can learn from each other. Can you see how this truly can be a win/win situation for everyone involved!?
Your role as a mentor would include the following:
- A two year commitment (You would remain with your mentee for the duration of their 2 years at the School of Dental Hygiene)
- Attend Open Assembly/The White Coat Ceremony to share in the tradition of welcoming the students to our profession and presenting your mentees with their white coat.
- Attend an MDHA sponsored evening per term, total of 4 events throughout the 2 years.
- In first year, your mentee would observe you in practice twice.
- In second year, your mentee would observe you in practice once.
- Attend the MDA/Faculty of Dentistry Graduation Breakfast at graduation in late May.
- Be a consistent source of encouragement for your mentee and a resource if they have questions, concerns, or require support throughout their 2 year education.
We would love to have you as part of the Mentorship Program. We invite Dental Hygienists from all walks of the profession – newer grads (min. one year experience), established DH’s within specialty or general practices, health promotion, etc. Keep in mind, volunteering for the Mentorship Program is a great way also to tackle some criteria within the CDHM’s Continuing Competency Program, and you can have a fun time doing it!
The commitment is small, but the rewards are BIG!
Sound interested? Have questions? Contact us ASAP as the School of Dental Hygiene’s newest incoming class starts within the next month.
Excited to hear from you!
MDHA Mentorship Committee Deanna Mackay, Kaleigh Warden, Erin Mirecki
Contact us by phone or email at: 981-7327 or firstname.lastname@example.org